So here's a little tribute post to The King. It's a collection of quotes about him made by other famous musicians. It's pretty interesting to see what a huge influence he was on these artists - the biggest names in the music industry.
Bono - "Elvis is like the Big Bang of rock 'n' roll. It all came from there."
Bruce Springsteen - "Elvis is my religion. But for him I'd be selling encyclopedias."
Frank Sinatra - "I'm just a singer. Elvis was the embodiment of the whole American culture."
Bob Dylan - "When I first heard Elvis' voice I just knew I wasn't going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss...Hearing him was like busting out of jail."
John Lennon - "Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been a Beatles."
Paul McCartney - "When we were kids growing up in Liverpool, all we ever wanted to be was Elvis Presley."
Johnny Cash - "Elvis was such a nice guy, and so talented and charismatic...He loved cheeseburgers, girls and his mother, not necessarily in that order."
Mick Jagger - "He was a unique artist...and original in an area of imitators."
Keith Richards - "Before Elvis, everything was in black and white. Then came Elvis. Zoom, glorious Technicolor."
Jim Morrison - "Elvis is the best ever, the most original. He started the ball rolling for all of us."
B.B. King - "His phraseology, his way of looking at a song, was as unique as Sinatra's...Had Elvis lived, there would have been no end to his inventiveness."
Elton John - "If it hadn't been for Elvis, I don't know where popular music would be. He was the one that started it all."
Some Cool Elvis Facts
• Elvis was a big fan of the British comedy troupe Monty Python and would often act out their skits in front of his friends.
• Elvis' very first Ed Sullivan Show appearance, on September 9, 1956, was seen by an estimated 55-60 million viewers. That's at least 21 million more viewers than the last American Idol finale had.
• Elvis loved giving Cadillacs as gifts and would even give them to strangers. One day, when Mennie L. Person, a Memphis bank teller, was admiring his Cadillac he appeared and asked her if she liked it. He then took her to a nearby showroom and told her to pick out any car she wanted.
• Elvis had a black belt in karate and was so passionate about the martial arts that he gave his instructor $50,000 to build a karate school in Memphis, Tennessee.
• According to a recent poll by CBS television and one by CNN/USA Today, approximately 45% of Americans consider themselves to be Elvis fans.
• Elvis is the most impersonated celebrity of all time. It's estimated that there are over 50,000 people in the world who make a living as Elvis impersonators.
• More people (1.5 billion) tuned into Elvis' Aloha From Hawaii concert than watched the very first moon landing (1.2 billion).